2026/08/31

After Notes: I Do Stuff 2

Here are my thoughts on I Do Stuff 2 

The Covers

I originally planned to have a space age family Jestson-ing their way to a space picnic but I figured even if the space age future a dog would be a better companion for a road trip.

Story Dividers

They’re clunky as hell, I must admit. I’m already working on improved versions for IDS 3.

Expat Tales

These stories are as true as can be given the ever growing distance of time. I plan to keep running these as long as memory allows me. And for as long as I can find decent photos in my files to go with them.

 

These story dividers worked great in theory but in practice they looked like broken code and that ruined the flow of the experience.


Liam & Mei

This story started out as a dream about rectangular voids that erased the world as they passed. Eventually there were only two of us left. Then one morning there was one. Not wanting to be alone, dream me entered a void.

Then I woke up. I’ve been working on the idea of a door to somewhere ever sense.

Necro-Canadian

These are all made up as I draw them. Can you tell?

I start with a single sentence and then see where it goes from there. Freeform creativity can be liberating, but if anything in this project gets pushed out for a new story it’ll be these. (spoilers)

Digby

There will be one more repeat of the original posts I made of this comic in the next I Do Stuff, then all new material in IDS 4.

I will also start introducing the men of this comic.

Aside from Liam these comics in I Do Stuff are a big old clam party. This isn’t a bad thing given how much media has always been a sausage fest, but none of my comics are set in the land of the amazons. A dangler has to appear at some point.

I have already come up with a better way to separate each tale. I hope.

 Eternality

This is a continuation of a series I ran a couple of years ago. Here’s the LINK

It’s a way for me to comment on sciencey space stuff while offering my take on the realities of immortality with a hint of Jack Kirby in there.

I think having nigh immortal beings would require technology vastly superior to ours. I also think it would require a species far more mature than ours to even get to that point.

Under the Hood

This continues to be a learning experience. For every thing I see improvement on I find two more issues to target. That’s making art, baby. The grind never ends.

I did this entirely in Krita. I also learnt a lot about that. Some of the comics are easier to draw digitally, some are easier with pen & paper. When I get back to drawing after a break, the G-Nibs will be seeing the inkwell once again.

 ALSO

I can see the unsteadiness grow in my hands. Lines stray. They wobble. They shake.

I'm going to think about how to ink with the knowledge that this will only continue to worsen with time. Maybe I should stop inking entirely and go full pencil? Paints?

Crayons? 

Brush. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

P - please validate me, Senpai.

Afternotes for "I Do Stuff 3" Project Git Gud Continues...

 Let's get to it. I Do Stuff 3 is posted and, as always, I have thoughts!  I've underlined where my brain is tethered for your quic...